Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Harrington, DE
    Posts
    1,128

    Best way to install hood pins?

    Ok boys, whats the secret to drilling, aligning, and installing on a fiberglass hood? And is it best to install before or after paint?

    Brenda
    10 Jeep Wranger Mountain / 01 Mustang Cobra #3781
    RIP Foxxy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East brunswick New Jersey
    Posts
    756
    I would drill before paint. the way i do it is install the pins, mark the top wiht white out and close hood, open hood and there is 2 white marks. Using a SMALL drill bit drill from under the hood thru. Close hood back down ( use a block of wood to hold hood up alittle bit ) drill holes from the top thru the hood. Drill the holes bigger then you need, the plates will cover the excess hole. dont attach the pads till after the hood painted, but i usually use aluminum rivets to attach the pads, the screws they give you rust.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Harrington, DE
    Posts
    1,128
    Ok, thanks Mike. That gives me a start. I didn't want to screw up the new hood, kwim.
    Brenda
    10 Jeep Wranger Mountain / 01 Mustang Cobra #3781
    RIP Foxxy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Yorktown, NY
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by itslegal View Post
    I would drill before paint. the way i do it is install the pins, mark the top wiht white out and close hood, open hood and there is 2 white marks. Using a SMALL drill bit drill from under the hood thru. Close hood back down ( use a block of wood to hold hood up alittle bit ) drill holes from the top thru the hood. Drill the holes bigger then you need, the plates will cover the excess hole. dont attach the pads till after the hood painted, but i usually use aluminum rivets to attach the pads, the screws they give you rust.
    Holy Shit Mike You HAVE Done That Before!!

    How are things?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Newark Delaware
    Posts
    288
    make sure you get the panel gaps right between the hood and the fenders before you move on to doing the pins.

    just judging from your pic it looks a little tighter on the drivers side against the fender and marker light.

    just make sure its as perfect as you can get it before you paint it. all the fitting and drilling comes first.
    .030'' 302, E-303 Roller cam, ported GT40's, Ported Torker 289, 675cfm dual feed Road Demon carb, Forged pistons, crank and rods, and ARP holding it all together
    oh yea, and its in a Maverick
    Maverick#2: 351W/C4 For Sale
    Maverick#3: 1969.5 302 headers cam alu intake, 650 edelbrock

    Daily ride 1989 Merc Grand Marq GS EFI 5.0, tinted out

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Harrington, DE
    Posts
    1,128
    OMG, you must think I'm stupid. I have all the good to fit the hood properly. Those I know how to install. But thanks Tony.
    Brenda
    10 Jeep Wranger Mountain / 01 Mustang Cobra #3781
    RIP Foxxy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East brunswick New Jersey
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSullivan View Post
    Holy Shit Mike You HAVE Done That Before!!

    How are things?
    Things are good glenn, how are thing swith you? i been silently following the 95 progess on lmmc

    Brenda do what i said and you wont have any problems.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Harrington, DE
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by itslegal View Post
    Things are good glenn, how are thing swith you? i been silently following the 95 progess on lmmc

    Brenda do what i said and you wont have any problems.
    Got ya Mike! I even copied and emailed it to myself so we'll have it when we get ready to do it. Thanks again!
    Brenda
    10 Jeep Wranger Mountain / 01 Mustang Cobra #3781
    RIP Foxxy

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Yorktown, NY
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by itslegal View Post
    Things are good glenn, how are thing swith you? i been silently following the 95 progess on lmmc

    Brenda do what i said and you wont have any problems.
    The car progress is slow but steady, business sucks (like with everyone) so I'm able to work on it most weekends where normally at this time of the year we would be working 7 days.

    I'm down to indexing the scattershield, installing the clutch and fitting the dipstick tube. Then on to prepping the engine bay to drop it in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •