Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

AOD stator support groove worn dug into splines

Hi all,
    Was kinda surprised, couldn't seem to find an instance like this here or elsewhere on the internet. Tales of instantly snapped/spun tubes from driving or dropping on the floor only.

Brief history...this is a ~270 horse GT40-setup 302. FI, 1987 Merc Cougar. 3.73 gears, crappy used tires all the time just to do burnouts and be silly.
    Trans has seen 3 converters as I've lived and learned. VB has been the same for the better part of 10 years. This car has been "ol reliable" as my high-power pursuit on another car does well and faceplants. Excellent operation.

This is a 10 inch custom converter by DD Alan. 3 years ago I think. 3000 stall. No damper/direct. Installation was easy, everything was tight and in place when I took this apart yesterday. Had some whining early this summer, did a service, whining came back, then one day rattling/banging in D/R while car stationary. Then lost pressure. (99% sure the filter just filled with junk and starved off fluid)

Just wondering what the hell happened. Total novice here...but maybe the stator/its bearing is coming apart? I did spend $500 or so on this converter, not sure if Alan is out there doing this anymore (I remember the site being gone maybe a year back when I checked). Maybe it could be fixed? It's not useful to me anymore but to someone racing it would be. I want to go back to direct drive anyway and bought a basic converter, but really just curious as to what might have happened.

Plan is to see if the VB is OK and probably check the intermediate, FWD and low range, and new pump as I did on my procharged cougar last year. See if the contamination is small enough that the whole thing can be basically reused.

Thoughts? Looks like the converter maybe got hot. I have plenty of cooling. Naturally I'm sure those units are contaminated now too as they're next downstream

IMG_20181104_181045999.jpgIMG_20181104_180523840.jpg
    Last edited by paulkuga50; 11-05-2018 at 11:06 PM.

You got a new one on me - but it is converter related.
    I would go ahead and have the transmission serviced and get a new pump.
    ...and converter