Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thread: TV Adj Question

TV Adj Question

Rebuilt AOD recently installed 66 Mustang 351W. Lokar cable used. Adjusted cable as directed 35/0. Using a TCI Sat Nite Sp lock- up converter. A couple issues are 1) trans does not down shift slowing down from highway speed. It will diesel before it down shifts. 2) trans does shift 1-2-3-4 very quick 3) while driving 40-50mph in OD, if you apply hard throttle, the trans does not downshift, it does have enough engine to move the car it just does not feel nimble at the speed in forth gear.
    Lokar cable return spring appears to be strong. Do I live with it this way & just pull the shifter down when needed? I was going to add an additional return spring on the trans, but I am hesitant to change the adjustment when it is right where it is supposed to be. I spoke with several vendors at Ford Nationals & everyone says it is a quirky transmission and somethings you have to live with. I did jump up to a 3.80 gear and the car cruises great with good gas mileage. TIA

1) STICKY valve or sticky governor valve.
    2) quick do you mean snap of the shift, or holds the gear too long?
    3) I would give it some more TV pressure pull, start with 1/8" - the AOD under lockup in 4th is never nimble...it is 1:1 with engine, but in overdriven gear ratio
    -Always shift down when needed, especially under 45mph

- did anyone tell you to get the SOnnax TV corrector bracket for your carb? If not, then you heard it here too late
    Lokar is the only option for TV cable, they are also rather hokie and don;t seem to explain the need for this bracket....and when I quized them at SEMA, they didn;t want to hear me out.

I read recently they changed the cable for another revision (like 3 or 4 revisions in past years) where you do not have to use the bracket....but instructions are the only way to know if you have the newest design)

Dan, I discussed the issue of the car shuttering on slow down before it down shifts with the individual that rebuilt the trans. He believes it to be the TCI TC that I purchased to be the problem. Of course that releases him of any responsibility. Do you believe it could be the problem? Btw I did not know about the bracket issue. I am using an Edelbrock carb & will check into that. Thanks

No, this is not a converter issue.
    It isn;t really a trans issue either though.
    If you have a lockup converter like stock AOD, then it is loading up, trans is not downshifting exactly how you want it, and just general engine lugging because it is in 3 or 4 gear due to lockup in those gears.

Get that corrector bracket for the Eddy carb and go again, report back.

I just ordered it & the stopper/spring. I am optimistic about the results now. Thanks again.

WOT takes my TV cable out of proper adjustment, I had not heard of that Sonnax TV Corrector before. Sounds like something I need to get. Thanks for mentioning that!!!

I had the Sonnax corrector kit installed & adjusted by the best trans shop around. Amazing improvement. The only thing that makes it not prefect is early shifts at WOT. He says lighter weights in governor would be the fix. It is a 87 Mustang GT trans so it should have the preferred governor I thought. wWhat do you think? Would the Transgo Gov Recalibrtion Kit help? 1966 Mustang 351W 3.80 rear gear. thanks
    Last edited by MCSS; 07-12-2018 at 07:32 PM.

yes, that is the next step

Dan, I was mistaken of the donor car. The AOD came from a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis. Is that an issue? Thanks
    Last edited by MCSS; 07-12-2018 at 07:37 PM.