Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

AOD direst drive shaft difference from other AOD's question

I have managed to pick up three Thunderbird AOD transmissions 1991, 1992 super coupe and a 1993. I decided to check the direct drive shafts on all three transmissions for end wear and found that the 1991 from a 5 liter HO and the 1993 from a 3.8 both had the same lengths of shafts in every way.
    However the super coups direct drive shafts over all length was almost an 1/8" shorter than the others. The splines at the end that goes into the transmission is shorter as I said by 1/8" but the smooth machined surface along with the splines that go into the tork converter are all the same in length.
    Can anyone tell me if the super coupe shaft is supposed to have shorter splines going into the transmission or did someone grind this back this short? The shaft does show signs of being ground flat on a stone and the edge tapered but why would someone shorten it almost an 1/8"? does the shorter shaft need to stay with the super coupe transmission or can they all be interchange with each other?
    Last edited by Thriftmaster; 06-03-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Consider this an anomaly for now, all interchangeable. If you have a shorter shaft - use the short end in the direct drum. Sounds like someone might have taken some off - pay attention if you open it for signs it was rebuilt as some point.

Thanks Dan This just caught me completely off guard, I will heed your advise re possible previous rebuilding