Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thread: AOD leaking

AOD leaking

Hello. I asked for help with this before but I may not have been clear, so I will try again. Transmission shifts fine and does not slip. I suspect the vent is clogged/blocked internally, but would like other thoughts/ideas. I can reach the vent with a finger and the cap does move, but this does not rule out an internal blockage.
    My 1992 Mustang AOD (150k never rebuilt) has the following issues:
    1.Leaks from pan
    2. Dipstick blows out from seated position in tube while driving.
    3. Rear seal has blown out of its position, and rode on front yoke of driveshaft.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Ooops..wrong section. What a noob!!! Please forgive me.

Blowing out the tail seal not something I have ever seen before. I don;t see it being related...other...than some kind of blockage in the vent.

Does it happen when HOT.....like super hot.....see if you can touch the pan when it is doing this. You should not get overly burned....or use infrared gun

Blow air down into the dipstick hole, use shop rag or something to seal.....you should easily feel air escaping from the vent.

Hmmm..good idea about blowing air down the dipstick tube. I will certainly try this idea. I can touch the vent cap, it is loose, but does not mean it is not blocked internally. I hate to pull the trans for a rebuild, as it still shifts fine (176k and never rebuilt, shows this vehicle has not had a rough life). When the rear seal blew out of the case, I was going about 70mph after about an all highway 20 mile trip. Keep in mind I have 4:10 gears and stock height tires.

lube mod done to the tailshaft?

Sorry I took so long to reply. I doubt it, as far as I am aware the transmission has only been out of the car once. I pulled it along with the motor about 5 years ago. The car has been in the family since 1994, when it was 2 years old.