Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I need to be educated. 98 up 4R70W behind a stock 351W

I am going cross eyed. I have read to much and now I need the pros.

I have a 1988 Thunderbird Sport with a 5.8L and no trans (it was a 5.0L/aod). I was thinking of a 5 speed then realized I want to do automatic.

From what I think I have read is that I want a 98 up 3.8L V6 4R70W to bolt behind the Windsor engine. Then I want to do a "J" mod and use a Bauman trans shift controller to shift my gears. Right now the 351W is a roller cam engine with a HO cam from a 5.0L and a stand alone Fitech efi system.

Now from what I have read, the V6 4r's have one less friction and steel in the direct drive? Is this something I need to address right away or can the 4R handle the torque of the V8? Will my stock shifter and cable work with the 4r? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

Luckily, anything that came with the AOD in it, also has corresponding shift levers that work in the 4R70w....accept the MarkVII. To continue that note, I do not know what shift lever the 88 bird had for the AOD. It is a BIG fox, like the MarkVII, so I wonder if it is the same? You stumped me!

THe 98+ 4R from my experience were built just like the V8. If you find a v6 unit that works, I say run it....worry about rebuild if it dies. Yes, a full compliment of clutches would be ideal in this application for sure. So inspect and rebuild now, or later. Up to you.

I would also run the Quick4 controller with a 100% stock valve body until you have set up the way you like it.

Awesome thank you.

The shifter in the car now is a floor shifter with PRN@D1. @= Overdrive

Right, that is AOD shifter.
    I am talking about the lever on the side of the trans.
    The lever on the trans corresponds with the shifter in the cabin.
    Different varieties are
    Fox stang
    M7 (possibly fox bird and coug)
    Mn12/Fn12
    two different Truck
    two different Vic/Marquis

The only 4R70W lever that did not get made nearly identical to the AOD is the M7....but a bent up truck lever will suffice.