Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

360 Interior Videos of my 8 sec 88 Mustang during runs down the track

This was a video from the 1st round of Spring Break Shootout Quick 16 at NMRA Bradenton 2017. I have a Gear 360 hanging from the rear view mirror, so you can look all around during the run.
    The run was a 8.44@166 with a 1.30 60'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsx5pyhkoAE

This run it broke up in 3rd gear and coasted to a 9.4, but I love how relaxed I look on the pass lol. Shifting with 2 fingers and then put my arm on the armrest when done shifting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgBai3uf7g

This video was from Texas 2K17. The planetary lets go on this pass, but I was on a good pass. The green car that passes me pulled 130 in the 1/8 and I was pulling from him till the trans lets go. I had a 1.245 60' on this run.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUaCzU1wzXs

Boss 331, TFS TW 205cc heads, LJMS solid roller cam, S480 billet turbo, and an AOD with lockup still.
    Last edited by Gt; 09-01-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    Tony Whetstone
    88 Mustang Gt Vert 331/Turbo 8.32@168
    http://www.blownstangs.com

I have to ask...is this an advertisement?
    The vids are pretty cool...do you have a link the exact camera you are using?

Lastly....why lockup?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I have to ask...is this an advertisement?
    The vids are pretty cool...do you have a link the exact camera you are using?

Lastly....why lockup?
    Not sure why you think it's an advertisement. But no it's not. Just thought it was a cool view of my runs and you can see the everything happening. I was watching Grudge Race last night and saw they are using the same camera I've been using for a while, and thought someone here might enjoy taking a 360 ride in a 8 sec AOD car.

It's a Samsung Gear 360, the 2016 version. http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/vir...m-c200nzwaxar/

I also use the Ricoh Theta S and have tried a couple different mounting points. This one I screwed it on the antenna mount: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7-TVe94pwo&t=43s

Why Lockup? Cause I've ran this car since 1991 (bought the car in 1990 but was into stereo's first lol). It was a heavy EFI 302 AOD, but then everyone was switching to Carbs and C4's to be the "fast" cars. I stayed EFI and AOD cause I didn't want to go backwards tech wise. It took time (cause of money) to get the car to where it's at now. Everyone still tells me to switch to a powerglide or something else. At first it was cause I was being hard headed and didn't want to just switch cause thats what everyone else was doing. Now it's cause it's different and as far as I know, no one else has been as fast or quick as me with an AOD/lockup setup. Without lockup there are a couple I know about that have when quicker, but I'm gunning to run 7.9x with lockup to be the quickest and fastest AOD. For some reason my tranny has lived being lockup this long (I know I'll regret this, but I have never broken an input shaft in my AOD) and I plan to keep pushing it till it won't hold. Or I say screw it and build a new car.

People are also realizing that lockup trans (not really the AOD lockup style) is becoming a great option for more speed. I just read one of the classes started penalizing cars with more weight if they ran a lockup converter.
    Tony Whetstone

Just realized the "topic" of the post does seem odd, was tired when I posted it last night. Should of been more like "360 videos of making 8 second runs down the 1/4" or something. Shrug.

All good man, I was entertained.

Lockup is the new thing...but I think it will stay a fad. I love it!!! Don;t get me wrong. Not AOD type, but variable lockup like AODE/4R.
    However, it has been noted quite a bit that around 700ft lbs, the LU becomes a wash. More MPH, yes, but does not equal lower ET.

Keep us up on how long that lockup AOD last! I love to see broken stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    All good man, I was entertained.

Lockup is the new thing...but I think it will stay a fad. I love it!!! Don;t get me wrong. Not AOD type, but variable lockup like AODE/4R.
    However, it has been noted quite a bit that around 700ft lbs, the LU becomes a wash. More MPH, yes, but does not equal lower ET.

Keep us up on how long that lockup AOD last! I love to see broken stuff
    I'm not sure if lockup is helping or hurting me. It feels great and pulls hard when it locksup. But before that, 1st and 2nd are really loose. PTC said they can't make the 9.5" converter any tighter. Without the 2-step, I can get to 6300 on the transbrake. If I shift 1-2 before 7200, 2nd sits at 6300 and flatlines for a little. (.3 tenths according to the log). I picked up a lot going to a solid roller so I could shift @ 8000. It helps on the 1-2 and 2-3.

I had thought about changing from the PA valve body to one yours, because of how slow the transbrake engages. It releases quick, but is really slow to engage. I have to make sure it's engaged before I got WOT and off the foot brake. The only reason I haven't changed to ones of yours, is I think the PA VB's 2-3 shift is soft and that's what is keeping the shaft in 1 piece. I've ran this VB since 1999 when I went to a supercharged combo. I changed to the TCI shaft in 2009 since I was making 770 rwhp with the new turbo setup. I didn't break the stock shaft, I just wanted the extra strength. The 2-3 shift shows about a total of 4 tenths between 8100 and 5600 when it starts to build RPM again.

My goal is to get a 7.9x and then look at other trans options.
    Tony Whetstone

Where is your peak torque?
    Your converter says it should be around 7k....is that true???

I think a tighter converter, non lock, and you got a whole new game to play.

Also, this is a MVB with LU....my customers are warrned not to run LU with my MVB. It is quick to respond and stalls the engine when you go from P to 1 because you pass through 3.
    Maybe you are just like super quick all the time to get to 1 huh?

ALso with LU and a MVB, 3rd is brutal.........but your converter being so loose, I think that is where you are being saved in this whole situation.

I haven't dyno'd it since going to a different turbo and cam/head setup. When I first built this combo, it was at 5200 but that was with a 76mm turbo and hyd cam. But even with the old cam/turbo I could easily get the converter over 6000 on the brake without the 2-step. The converter has also been to loose, which is why I've been running tractor fluid.

Yes, it is a MVB and no I don't have a problem with going to 1st past 3rd. Least I don't think I have to be fast. It's not that fast to engage 3rd. 1-2 is decent, but 2-3 is slower for sure. I figured that is what was saving the input shaft, was the not fast hard shift to 3rd.

You have a plan, good.
    But I for sure say that converter is too loose for your power range...but its also saving the trans it appears.