Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aod first and reverse only

I have an aod in a 65 mustang .been running all summer put a 3000 stall converter in 2 days ago ran fine for twenty miles or so stopped and checked fluid it was a little to full so i sucked some out . Took off for another spin took off strong when i shifted to 2nd there was nothing there sounded like i missed a gear. Then i shifted into drive it grabbed then it shifted into od . We went a couple miles and turned around .after turning around only had first gear so i limped home that way now i have 1st and reverse only . Any ideas ?

What shifter? Hammer?
    You need to be positive you only have 1, and can not get to 2nd at all. CLick it back from N, and drive it....just 1?

First guess would be input shaft broke which will not allow 3 or 4...2nd is a hard gear to be missing...most loss of 2nd is catastrophic failure of a hard part.

OR, could be just the 1-2 shift valve is stuck.

I'm using the stock shifter if i put it in drive it goes till it shifts out of low then there is nothing

So where do you think i should start ?

So you say it worked all 4 gears, then went in neutral when shifts to 2nd?

First check the TV cable and be sure it is hooked up and adjusted properly.

2nd should never equal neutral - being it is a non synchronous shift - it just adds a clutch to the fwd clutch - so it should just always be 1 still.
    If you say it is going to neutral and you are still under 40 mph - that tells me the 3-4 shift valve is moving somehow or some kind of odd valve body behavior.

ANy VB mods? Ultimately you will have to pull the pan for deeper inspection of fluid and see if there is any clutch debris in the pan.

I'm pulling the pan tomorrow and yes it has a shift kit and one thing I forgot to say is the speedometer stopped working about a week ago I when I pulled the cable out of the tranny the plastic gear was gone I'm thinking maybe parts of that got into the vb.

Well I pulled the pan today .There wasn't anything unusual in it
    . So I started pulling the valves out of the valve body and broke the valve body so I guess I'll get another vb and try it again.

ouch...pics?

Didn't take any bagged it up and took it to the transmission shop .I'll let you know how it turns out.