Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

1. Wide ratio AOD 3/4 clutches burnt

I've got a wide ratio AOD with a 4r70w gear set. I still have a 3000 stall lock-up converter with hardened input shaft. I bought this transmission built but not sure on quality of parts used. The 5 direct drum clutches seem to be the only clutches to be worn out. My theory is some how the direct drum was starved of fluid and caused the failure. Idk what would be the cause of fluid loss. I saw on a 4r70w forum that a bushing or seal failure can cause this. I also read that since this is going into a street car that I want to stay with the factory number of clutches. I'm wondering if I can get away with just replacing the direct drum clutches and seals. This still worries me that it will happen again!

2. This is a stamped steel drum right? WIth all the ribs along the outside

This drum fits 6 factory - so I would for sure put 6 in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. What thickness do you run to fit 6? Also do you have a place you recommend for ordering just the clutches and steels I need. Also since you are the AOD guru is there a direct drum lubrication mod? I did some of the AOD mods in the tech article on my stock AOD. I haven't done much research on the wide ratio to know if the mods are the same.

4. mods are same. To lube the direct drum you need the latest model output shaft that has more holes to feed lube.
    www.wittrans.com